While walking around in Mecidiyeköy, we entered a restaurant which had a sign that read “Passaje,” which we had strangely never noticed before. The soft-colored wooden tables and chairs outside grabbed our attention, and when we walked in, the lovely ambiance made us warm up to the place immediately. It’s fairly understandable for the place not to have caught our attention before because the restaurant opened up around 20 days ago.
Engin Yıldız, the owner of Passaje, which is an offshoot venue of Yıldız Restaurant located in Mecidiyeköy and has been serving customers since 1979, says that after they get settled with this café-restaurant system, they will open up new branches. Yıldız explains, “We chose transit locations where businesses and people are high in numbers and we are quite boastful about our pasta, pizza and salads.” He goes on to say that his target customers are working adults, as well as young people.
Passaje means business when it comes to burgers, pizzas, salads and pasta. It accommodates 80 and has an outdoor seating area on the side facing the street. We had what we could easily say was the most delicious burger made from beef from the Balıkesir region. The toppings used in the burger and the tenderness of the meat made a mouthwatering combination. And one burger alone is enough to fill you up. The restaurant’s affordable menu of the day system makes it affordable for one and all. Tuncay Kaya, head chef in charge of the venue’s food concepts, is an expert known for his work in international cuisine. Kaya used this new venue to create a quickly available menu that is light. The restaurant also offers a breakfast which has been well received by customers. Passaje, which operates with 10 employees, has a fantastic breakfast platter made up of honey, jam, butter, olives, cheese, salami slices, tomatoes, cucumbers and kaşar cheese. And for those who want more, there are four types of sandwiches, along with börek, omelets and grilled cheese sandwiches available. And at noon, the main dishes become available. Different types of pizzas, featuring toppings like cheese, sucuk, mushrooms, red peppers, beef slices, vegetables (broccoli, squash, eggplants, red pepper, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese) and spinach and mushroom, are available. The pasta choices are quite delicious as well. One can choose from penne with pesto or arrabbiata sauce, mushroom and chicken fettuccine, spaghetti Bolognese, Kayseri mantı, seafood linguini and pasta with Napolitano sauce and vegetables. We personally enjoyed the burgers, pizza and delicious pasta. Passaje got a great score from us!
- Tea is served along with meals free of charge. And their tea is above average in flavor.
- The restaurant has a wonderful ambiance. It could be even better if they were to place objects, photographs and paintings on the wall.
- Make sure you don’t skip a slice of cheesecake or almond cake and the daily special following your meal.
- The affordable menu option is an added bonus.
- The restaurant is open from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Grilled chicken sandwich: TL 8
- Beef sandwich: TL 11.5
- Salmon sandwich: TL 12
- “Tonton” sandwich: TL 10.5
- Cold and diet sandwich: TL 7
- Hamburger (140 gr.): TL 11.5
- “Passaje burger”: TL 12.5
- Cheese and “beğendi” burger: TL 12.5
- Pizza types (8 options): TL 9-15
- Mega chicken salad: TL 11
- Tuna salad: TL 12.5
- Caesar salad: TL 9
- Mediterranean salad: TL 10
- Warm steak salad: TL 13
- Smoked chicken / spinach salad: TL 12
- Pastas (14 options): TL 9-16
- Cold drinks: TL 2-4.5
- Cheesecake / almond cake: TL 4-6
- Breakfast platter: TL 7
- Poğaça types (5 options): TL 1
- Sandwich types (4 options): TL 2.5-3
- Börek types: TL 1.5-2
- Omelet, menemen: TL 3.5-5
- Grilled cheese types: TL 2.5-5